11 "Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"
The main point is self-evident: If we as sinful fathers can give good gifts to our children, then surely our holy and righteous heavenly Father will give the Holy Spirit to us when we ask.
He is more faithful to give to His children who ask than is any human father.
Note: this promise is for the children of God. It is a promise to those who have a Heavenly Father (believers). It is wrong to believe we don't need to ask for fresh infillings of the Holy Spirit. Jesus' disciples asked "Lord, teach us to pray," and Jesus taught them to pray for the Holy Spirit.
A more subtle point here is this: We can give good gifts to our children, but only our Heavenly Father can give the power of the Holy Spirit.
No matter how good of a father we are, there are some necessities that only God can give.
1. We can give a safe, secure home to our children, but only God can keep them truly safe.
When our son was in Iraq, all my wife and I could do is pray and trust God.
2. We can explain the Gospel to our children, teach them about salvation, but only the Holy Spirit can bring conviction to their hearts, and convince them of their need of a Savior.
"When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment."
3. I can teach my son about holiness, I can teach him all that God's Word says about righteousness, but only the Holy Spirit can speak to his heart in crucial moments.
4. I can try to impart wisdom to my children, but only the Holy Spirit can show them the way that they must go.
"But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth."
We can be the best fathers in the world humanly speaking, but it isn't enough unless God in involved.
Fathers - If you don't have the Holy Spirit working, you're not fathering in the best way you can.
T-shirt: If you don't have the King, you're not playing with a full deck.
Here's the exciting part - God is more faithful than we are. "How much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?" After salvation, there is no more important truth in the Bible than this.
1. Pray every day that God would fill you with His Spirit.
2. Pray that the Holy Spirit would work in your children, giving conviction of sin, wisdom, guidance, protection and holiness.
Do you have a prayer request? We would love to pray with you. To reach us, click here.